One of Edinburgh's most famous publishers and printers was Thomas Nelson and Sons, who specialised in producing popular literature, children's books, Bibles and religious and educational texts. From its founding in 1798 to its departure from Scotland in 1968, Nelsons was an established and well-known presence on the Southside, its Parkside Works on Dalkeith Road a major landmark in the Edinburgh cityscape.
A number of activities have been undertaken to research the working lives of former employees of the firm. On 24 November 1998 a reunion of ex-employees was held at Abden House, one of the former homes of the Nelson family. Further follow up reunions were held in late May 1999 at the Craighouse Campus of Napier University, which brought together employees from separate areas of the firm: one meeting focused on clerical and office workers from department such as Wages, Export, Educational and Management; another drew together individuals from the production side, including bookbinding, composing and reproduction. Recordings of reminiscences took place at all gatherings.
The Nelson reminiscence project was undertaken by the SAPPHIRE Project in conjunction with SPRATT, and the People's Story Museum of the City of Edinburgh Museums
Please click to enlarge